The Hawks Eye

Introducing the Weightlifting Team

Maryanne Peña

A new and improved team has come to the Hawks nest. Coach Morales has waited long enough to manage an all girls weightlifting team. A new team means new challenges and obstacles that they will face.

“It feels good because I really enjoy weightlifting and it’s a passion. I really enjoy having a weightlifting team,” coach Morales said.

This makes our Hawks stronger and united with each other. Each of the girls are excited and ready to start of the tournaments with positive vibes. Our beloved seniors have set amazing goals for this new prospering team.

“By the end of the season, I would like to be able to bench at least 2o pounds more than I can now which I definitely feel is possible. I also hope to make it to districts which I feel is possible as well,” said Christelle Morency.

At times it can be stressful to go to practices and have so many other things on their plates. Especially for seniors because they have to apply to colleges, study for SAT and ACT, and have homework on a regular basis.

“Sometimes it is hard to deal with, but I always do what I need to do,” Chloe Piloto said.

Since this is a new team for DCS, there is a different system in how points are recorded.

“So they have to successfully complete three lifts in the following discipline: bench press, clean and jerk. If their totals are high enough (top three places) they score points. To make it to districts, they have to be ranked in the top eight in the district per their weight class,” stated coach Morales.

The Hawks wish the best for this team and hope to see them succeed in the future.

Daniela Florindez
The girls weightlifting team succeeded at their first meet.